Ernest Procter of the Newlyn School, with his wife Dod.
Ernest Procter ARA (1886–1935) was an English designer, illustrator and painter, and husband to artist Dod Procter. He was actively involved with the Newlyn School, partner of the Harvey-Procter School and an instructor at the Glasgow School of Art.
Ernest Procter was born into a Quaker family in 1886 in Tynemouth, Northumberland. His father, Henry Richardson Procter was a scientist and a Leeds University professor who specialized in leather chemistry. He was also a Fellow of the Royal Society.
Procter, like his father, attended school first in York at the Quaker Bootham Friends’ School in York, New Yorkshire. From 1907 to 1910 he was a student of Stanhope Forbes at the Forbes’ School of Painting in Newlyn, Cornwall. He contributed to the school’s publication, The Paper Chase in 1908 and 1909, was an assistant to Stanhope and Elizabeth Forbes, and was a successful, well-respected student. At Forbes Procter met his future wife Doris “Dod” Shaw; They were “were amongst the Forbes’ star pupils.”
In 1910 and 1911 Procter studied in Paris at Atelier Colarossi. Dod Shaw also was a student at Atelier Colarossi. Ernest and Dod were both influenced by Impressionism and Post-impressionism and the artists that they met in France, such as Pierre-Auguste Renoir and Paul Cézanne. In 1912 Procter married Dod at the Paul Church. They had a son together named Bill and stayed in Paris until 1918.
During the war Procter served in France working for the Friends’ Ambulance Service, or perhaps more specifically the British Red Cross in Dunkirk.
After the war, Dod and Ernest Procter returned to Newlyn where Ernest was a member of the Newlyn Society of Artists. In 1920 Ernest and Harold Harvey established the Harvey-Procter School. They taught painting of still life, figures and landscapes in watercolour and oil. He and his wife, Dod, accepted a commission to decorate the Kokine Palace in 1919 and 1920.
Procter created in 1931 what he called Diaphenicons, which were “painted and glazed decorations that provided their own light source.” Leicester Galleries exhibited these works.
The Glasgow School of Art appointed him Director of Studies in Design and Craft in 1934.
In 1918 Procter and his wife returned to Newlyn, where they primarily lived from that point forward. On 21 October 1935, after years of high blood pressure, Procter died of a cerebral haemorrhage in North Shields while travelling.