Ivan Nikolaevich Kramskoi (1837-1887) - Portrait of the Artist Alexander Litovchenko - 1878
Tretyakov Gallery, Moscow, Russia
Ivan Nikolaevich Kramskoi (June 8 (O.S. May 27), 1837, Ostrogozhsk – April 6 (O.S. March 24), 1887, Saint Petersburg; Russian: Ива́н Никола́евич Крамско́й) was a Russian painter and art critic. He was an intellectual leader of the Russian democratic art movement in 1860-1880.
Alexander Dmitrievich Litovchenko (Russian: Алекса́ндр Дми́триевич Лито́вченко; 1835, Kremenchuk - 28 June 1890, Saint Petersburg) was a Ukrainian-born Russian painter who specialized in depicting Muscovite Russia of the 16th and 17th centuries.
Litovchenko attended the Imperial Academy of Arts and, although criticised by his peers for rather stilted compositions, was awarded a lesser gold medal for his rendering of Charon transporting the souls of the dead across the Styx. Along with several other young painters, he challenged the spirit of academism that was prevalent at the Academy and in 1863 left it to become a freelance painter, joining the Peredvizhniki movement in 1876.
In 1868, Litovchenko was recognized as an academician for his picture of a falconeer serving at the court of Tsar Alexis (one of his several versions of the subject). Among his larger paintings, Ivan the Terrible Showing His Treasures to Jerome Horsey (1875) was purchased by the Tsar for the Alexander III Museum in St. Petersburg, and Tsar Alexis and Archbishop Nikon Venerating the Relics of Patriarch Philip (1886) was acquired by Pavel Tretyakov for his collection in Moscow (as were the finest of his portraits).
Litovchenko is also remembered as the author of seven murals in the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour in Moscow and a set of icons for the Crimean War memorial in Sevastopol.
- kondorkanky likes this
- kondorkanky reblogged this from the-paintrist
- invictascientia reblogged this from the-paintrist
- andibob likes this
- laclefdescoeurs likes this
- old-glory reblogged this from blastedheath
- aramathea likes this
- hairymouthfuls reblogged this from blastedheath and added:
- sedone likes this
- orangebaron reblogged this from thestilllwaters
- thestilllwaters reblogged this from monsieurlabette
- monsieurlabette reblogged this from blastedheath and added:
- placesicanwalktofrommyhouse likes this
- dilf65 likes this
- androphilia likes this
- blastedheath reblogged this from the-paintrist
- thesecularsoup likes this
- cavalcandosenzatesta likes this
- dappledwithshadow likes this
- neurocognitiv reblogged this from the-paintrist
- neurocognitiv likes this
- the-paintrist posted this